Monday, September 5, 2016

Finishing Touches

Several additional tasks have been left to the end on this build.  These are somewhat routine restorative or rebuilding items which were earmarked originally for the earlier part of the project.  As they had not yet become rate-limiting, no urgency was yet allocated.

So the cleaned and drilled disc will now get new pads, and a clean, rebuild and paint of the Brembo caliper.  This was a fairly straightforward job; I like when I get to blow a piston out of its seat using compressed air.  I didn't get carried away, as I wanted to ensure both were moving and not seized before proceeding.  In the past I've shot a piston (slave cylinder) the length of the driveway and into the street....
The calipers were functional but dirty, and in need of paint.  Upon cleaning them up I briefly toyed with leaving them as is, but the dull black wasn't quite acceptable for this project build quality, so a coat of primer followed by two coats of semi-gloss black was the next step.  And after inspection and grease, new seals were installed, an o-ring and the calipers were re-assembled.  The pads and pins popped in easily; they are now ready for lines to be attached and bled with fresh brake fluid.
I hit a small snag with the brake master cylinder.  It seems that the old cast style 15mm m/c no longer has a rebuild kit.  The one I bought for a 15mm m/c at MG Cycle is for a different type.  I will have to simply put it back into service as is.  Despite a lot of cleaning and inspection, there appears to be no circlip holding the piston in and the kit pieces I bought do not match.
cleaned, with new seals
fresh paint; prior to pins and pads going in

The instruments (tachometer and speedometer) have required attention for a long time.  After service by a local San Diego business for a broken speed cup and a missing gear, the pointer needle was broken off.  This has sat as a repair item for me for about 5 months now.  A dab of superglue seems to hold the pointer quite well, but I also added a very thin strip of paper soaked in glue to the bottom of the pointer to help ensure it did not snap again.  Next up was trying to position and mount the pointer on the speedo face where I'd marked it previously; not so easy when the speed cup has to be moved independently before the pointer is affixed above the stop so that it is still within a few % of calibration.  I'm not so concerned about accuracy, but I would like it to at least start turning before actual speed gets too high...!
The other issue pending has been the bezels.  I'd purchased aftermarket bezels from Euortrash Jambalya; pathetic business.  The bezels advertised as chrome were not even close.  Then after spending an extra $10 each for chroming I find that they do not fit.  There is no way to fold the edges over the lip of the instruments, thus I had to go back to the old dented ones that came with the bike.  Worse, one was cut off by a previous owner rather than being pried off the lip.  Some strategic hammering with an old screwdriver and hammer knocked out most of the dents.  A little primer and semi-gloss paint has them looking acceptable again.  I will have to glue the one which was cut off, but the other can be re-positioned.  Before doing so I painted the pointers white again, and added a dab of red paint to the tip of each pointer.  They are looking pretty decent, actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment