Monday, June 27, 2016

Custom Seat

June 2016.
This process started back in Feb/Mar with a half a hundred searches for examples of a seat to match the project objectives and fit the 850T frame.  The seat pan on the bike as purchased is a custom, hand-hammered aluminum, which has unfortunately deformed and sagged over time.  Although a new seat was not part of the original plan, I eventually had to conclude that it would never serve as the basis for an upholstered seat and that I would thus be starting with both a new seat pan and seat.
'motorcycleseatsdirect.com' has a wide variety to choose from for many early model brands, and four of these included Moto Guzzi models.  I chose the '3355' cafe style as a starting point and submitted measurements and modifications to suit my desired overall look.  At the time of payment, however, I had not realized that they are based in Vietnam.  Not a big deal in most ways, but the minor communication issues and long lag time for completion and shipping were unfortunate.  However, nothing that was rate-limiting as this will virtually if not literally be about the last thing to go back on the finished project.

 Some shots of the foam construction and seat pan.

hardware for latch to be transferred over; note, base is smooth and flat, not as lighting makes it appear



Final seat as it arrived approximately 3 weeks later.  The fabric is a textured vinyl, although it has a very leather-like look and feel.  The stitching is very straight and uniform.  The foam is forgiving yet firm.  I placed in on the frame and it lines up where I'd expected.  Must wait for tank re-mount to finalize the position to attach the latch mechanism (from the donor pan).
My only negative is that the 'butt stop' is not as steep as I had requested; I drew a clear diagram and asked to accentuate the steepness of the rise to the top of the seat hump, as well as steepen the drop down to the end.  I thought that this might not have translated properly.  If anything, I think they may have done the opposite.  It is still a good looking seat, but it will be many months until the overall look can be assessed as the rest of reassembly is closer to complete.


No comments:

Post a Comment