Saturday, July 30, 2016

Wires Everywhere

July, 2016.
I had been very interested in trying the M-Unit device to simplify wiring.  At the same time, using as many of the stock components as possible was a side goal of this project.  I believe it will be somewhat difficult to split this sort of thing halfway - you either start from scratch or make use of what you have and ensure everything is serviceable.

With some further thought, I am going to stay with a standard harness and keep the points distributor and stock coils as well (in keeping with my overall project goal of reusing as many stock pieces as I can).  But all  the relays can be updated, and the stock rectifier and regulator need to go.  I've got a new reg/rec ESR450 ready to install, which is a direct connect to the stator and battery (a minor downside is losing the 'Gen' light on the dash).  New plug wires and caps (NGK) have been procured as well.

Other considerations include how much of the stock harness is salvageable, and  of the parts to be replaced whether to make on my own or purchase pre-made.   Gregory Bender makes some great harnesses and other associated parts.  I decided to replace most of the harness and therefore ordered the main from Gregory and a few ancillary pieces.  I will work with my stock headlight sub-harness and fusebox; otherwise most of it will be new.

So Gregory delivered a great product, much of which is shown above.  I've laid out the entire harness from end to end, and labeled each connection to its proper location.  All is very straightforward, except the on/off and starter circuit; my project bike came w/o an ignition.  Plus the aftermarket reg/rec change (small white box in the middle) affects a few stock diagram connections.

The box in the lower left contains my crusty old stock main harness.  I will now wait until the frame is back on the engine to further address connections and placement.

No comments:

Post a Comment